From this article, you will learn theoretical and practical information about HGH and steroids. You will find out whether HGH is a steroid, what to choose: HGH or steroids, to improve the physique and how you can combine them for bodybuilding purposes.
Is HGH a steroid?
No, HGH and steroids have entirely different chemical structures, so the word combination “HGH steroids” is incorrect. Steroids are variations of testosterone, synthetically produced to be used for trauma treatment or sports purposes. Steroids possess a cycloalkane structure.
Human growth hormone is a hormone, polypeptide chain of 191 amino acids connected with peptide chains. HGH is secreted by the pituitary gland, while testosterone is produced by the testicles.
Despite differences in the structure, both steroids and HGH are defined as strong anabolic substances, which can be combined because they influence different receptors. You will learn below how to do it specifically.
HGH and steroids mechanisms of action
Growth hormone functions is promoting of muscle growth and burning of fat.
HGH performs fat burning directly. Growth hormone takes fats out of their storage into the bloodstream. Then, they are transported to mitochondria, oxidized and converted to ATP (universal energy). It means that HGH makes fats an energy source, instead of carbohydrates. As a result, you lose your fat when you take HGH. Fat loss is especially visible in the belly area, where fat is easier to retrieve.
Muscle growth activity of HGH is performed by IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor 1). IGF is produced when HGH interacts with receptors in the liver, being converted into IGF. Then, IGF circulates to muscle cells, binds to IGF receptors, thus accelerating protein synthesis.
These two effects are simultaneous as you lose fat and gain muscles at the same time.
Mechanism of steroids is different from the HGH one. After they get to the blood, steroids spread through the body and react with skeletal muscle tissue, skin, fat, bones, and parts of the brain, significantly changing their state.
Anabolic steroids can easily go through the muscle cell membrane, which consists of fats and binds to androgen receptors inside the cells. Different steroids have different ability of binding to receptors, which is measured by the anabolic index. For example, testosterone index is 1; trenbolone has 5. It means that tren can stabilize the receptor five times more efficiently.
HGH vs. steroids: differences
- Binding to different receptors. Growth hormone binds to somatropin receptors, IGF-1 binds to insulin and IGF receptors. At the same time, steroids interact with androgenic receptors. It means that effects of these drugs are independent of each other and can complement one another.
- Steroids are better for muscle gain. Steroids are still fundament for bulking, although HGH becomes more and more popular in bodybuilding. However, HGH can induce muscle cells division and increase their number.
- Growth hormone is a stronger fat burner. While there are steroids with fat burning activity (Winstrol, Anavar, Oxymetholone), HGH shows better results for this task.
- HGH has milder side effects than steroids. Most of the adverse effects caused by GH, such as carpal tunnel syndrome or water retention, are temporary and go away after the cycle. At the same time, if not used correctly, steroids can cause long-term problems with libido, acne and hair loss. Besides, while the use of steroids suppresses your own testosterone, injections of HGH don’t cause suppression of endogenous growth hormone.
- Steroids are cheaper and more available than HGH. The black market of steroids is more developed that the HGH market, and it is much easier to get them. Also, counterfeit growth hormone is quite widespread because of its high price. Another difference is the price. Steroids are significantly cheaper than HGH because they are less difficult to produce.
HGH or steroids? What to choose?
To decide what to choose, HGH or steroids, you need to know what result do you expect to get.
Growth hormone is useful to gain lean muscle mass simultaneously with losing fat. Growth hormone won’t give you dramatic gains; however, the mass you’ve gained will remain after the cycle. Steroids fit better to obtain huge muscle mass rapidly, for two months.
However, you don’t need to choose between HGH and steroids. You can combine them to get advantages of both drugs.
Combination of steroids and HGH
Combination is a good idea for the following reasons:
- The synergy effect, or 1 + 1 = 3. Growth hormone and steroids influence different receptors, thus providing different benefits for muscles. You can get all of them if you take HGH and steroids together.
- HGH and steroids facilitate each other’s side effects. When you take both drugs, you can lower the dosage of each and obtain great results due to the synergy effect. When using HGH, you can consume steroids in a lower dosage, such as 500 mg of testosterone instead of 750 mg. It reduces potential side effects. Besides, growth hormone can help fight acne.
How to combine steroids and HGH?
HGH and test cycle:
This option is the easiest one. You can use long esters, such as cypionate, enanthate or Sustanon.
The dosage depends on your experience. The optimal proportion is 1/100.
For example, 5 IU of HGH/day + 500 mg of test-C
Divide your daily dosage of HGH into two injections. Inject the first after you wake up and the second 6-8 hours after it or before retiring to bed.
Combination options can be divided into two parts: for bulking and for cutting. In the first case, HGH will give you the ability to gain lean muscle mass, while in the second it will accelerate fat loss.
Bulking cycle may include strong substances, such as Testosterone, Deca, Dbol, or Trenbolone.
Test E (500 mg) + Deca (500 mg) + Dbol (30 mg) + HGH (5-7 IUs).
A cutting cycle includes steroids that burn fat: Winstrol, Anavar, Trenbolone. You also need to increase the dosage of HGH if your cycle is short and you want to burn fat efficiently.
Winstrol/Anavar – 50 mg/day + Trenbolon E (200-300 mg/week) + 10-15 IUs of HGH.